1-day/2-day woodturning tuition for beginners or those new to the craft
The 1-day session is mainly aimed at those wanting to take their first steps into woodturning with the wish to create something on the lathe. It's fun and informative! The day can also be tailored to meet the requirements of those who are relatively new to woodturning and wish to gain some more insight. Complete beginners will learn how to mount a piece of wood on the lathe. How to cut and shape the wood using gouges and other woodturning tools, and then how to finish the wood afterwards.
Important information at a glance
1. All tools, materials and personal protection equipment is included (eye protection/lung protection).
Some smocks and old shirts are available, but the student may wish to bring their own. If they already have some woodturning tools, they could bring these along too if they wish.
2. Refreshments (tea/coffee/soft drinks) and a light, rustic farmhouse-style lunch will be provided each day.
3. The studio is equipped with a Record Power DVR-XP lathe and dust extraction equipment.
4. The tuition is one-to-one, ensuring the student gets the maximum benefit from the day with no distractions.
5. The age limit is 16+, unless accompanied by an adult.
6. I have insurance (IWW/5102205) to cover training on a woodturning lathe.
7. All student work can be taken home.
8. Students are provided with a certificate of completion.
9. We can advise of local accommodation for those wishing to attend the two-day tuition and stay in the area overnight.
Refreshments will be provided throughout the day, and a light, rustic farmhouse-style lunch is also included. Depending on the weather/time of year, lunch can be taken either out in the cottage garden or in our country kitchen which has a view over the garden. Those who would prefer to have their lunch at our local pub (just a 5-minute walk away) can do so; just let us know and we'll deduct £10 from the tuition fee, and we can also book a table for you at the pub if required.
Those who have signed up for the 2-day session will be able to expand on the knowledge they have gained from the first day, with a view to perhaps working on pieces independently on day two. Again, refreshments and a light, rustic farmhouse-style lunch are included on both days.
The sessions are hands-on, and the student will be able to use the lathe to create their pieces. The tuition can be tuned to what they would like to do, as people tend to learn quicker working in areas that they are interested in. They may wish to make a candlestick or perhaps a bowl – they can choose from a number of items that would be suitable for beginners or those relatively new to the art. The aim is to make an item or items that they can feel proud of and take away with them. All students will be provided with a certificate of completion. All of the wood used is from sustainable local sources.
Send us an e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 01945 772811 for more information or to discuss requirements. You can also purchase a 1-day or 2-day tuition gift voucher from our online shop if you prefer. We can advise of local accommodation for those wishing to attend the two-day tuition.